Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Life List Day 197 - Start the Process of Helping a Stray Cat

Since I moved into my house two months ago, I've grown increasingly fond of a stray cat who likes to hang around the area. I hadn't known HOW fond until, a few days ago, my landlady was petting her and said, "This is a ferile cat. I think I should call animal control," and I found myself saying, "No! Don't!"

Next thing I know, I'm putting out food for her, checking to make sure she stops by, worrying when she doesn't.

Today, I took it a step further : I started calling vets. See, the cat's real sweet, but she walks at this odd sideways angle. At first I called her Crazy Kitty, but then I realized it must be some sort of inner ear thing that's throwing off her balance - which makes my nickname for her quite mean, actually - so now I just call her Pretty. (If she's a he, that may be a bit of an unwelcome name, too, but I can't help it...it rhymes so well with kitty).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do for her. I can't imagine her jumping happily into my car for a trip to the vet. Although she loves to be petted, I tried picking her up once and she spazzed more than my son does when I go for a hug.

I called a couple vets to put out feelers, and I left messages at two organizations - one called Feral Cat Caretakers and The Stray Cat Alliance.

So far what I've figured out is that I should keep feeding her to get her trust. From there, hopefully I'll be able to trap her and get her some help.

After all, who can ignore this cute little face?

11 comments:

Paper Fan Club said...

I'm not a cat person, but recently we found a little lost kitty meowing hungrily at our door too. Who could possibly resist?

PS: Jill, my mom just read your book and said it would make an awesome movie.

Anonymous said...

Awww...

Unknown said...

I have 3 cute little faces in my home. I began feeding my Siamese and just let her sleep on my screened in back porch. She now lives in my home after 2 months of trying with her. After 2 months she gained my trust and came to live with Emily, William and I. Nefi is now a great part of my family and am just love having a Siamese.

Good Luck!

Livingsword said...

Hi Jill;

Everybody keeps telling me that Jill is just a great writer and beautiful, but I say no she also has a heart!

I want to encourage you with your furry little friend. On their behalf I say “thank you Jill”.

(Disclaimer: I am a married man and any outward showing of affection was meant only in a friendly manner)

Livingsword said...

Hi Jill;

I was just thinking…first time for everything…since you are always looking for something new to do…and you are always pushing your “envelope”…perhaps you would like to take part in my contest at my blog Life on the Blade.

No problem if you choose not to but I thought it may be quite different and perhaps interesting…

Anonymous said...

is this the sweet kitty who crashed our last meeting? definitely a keeper! K

Anonymous said...

is this the sweet kitty who crashed our last meeting? definitely a keeper! K

Anonymous said...

I thought I was only a dog person and that I disliked cats. I was raised to believe that. Serveral years ago a stray cat showed up in our back yard. I tried hard to find it's owner, phone calls, posters, etc., Then one day the neighbor came to our door complaining saying she was going to call animal control and I knew they would put the cat to sleep. Well that did it I put the dog in the garage, opened the sliding glass door and with the help of a can of tuna in came the cat.
I even had to call someone that knew about cats to know what to buy for her.
The dog and her got along fine. And after a trip to the vet, shots, declawing and spaying, she has spent 6+ years as a wonderful family pet. AND we adopted two more strays after her!
I still love and have a dog but I would never be without a cat again! They touch your heart and your life in a way you could never imagine...and they do not require a lot, they can be very independent. So I would say take a chance you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Nancy R said...

OH, what a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Your story reminded me of a youtube video that I love. It's so adorable!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G0wYaXYwP-w

Anonymous said...

To the owner of this blog, how far youve come?