Friday, April 27, 2007

Life List Day 40 - Eat Dragon Fruit


I've seen these weird-looking fruits around - most recently, on a trip to Hawaii. Even though I was curious, I never tried one. Today, I made a trip to my local Asian market and bought one.

This is what dragon fruit looks like on the inside:


It tastes a bit like kiwi - mildly sweet with the crunchiness of the seeds. For me, that's a bigger treat than I would have expected: the one time I ate kiwi, I thought it was delicious. Then my throat swelled so badly I had one finger on the phone to dial 9-1-1 as I took Benadryl, hoping that would allow me to breathe. (It did.) It's my only allergy - kiwi - which, FYI, I'm told is related to a latex allergy. I'm delighted to say, I've had no other problems with latex, if you catch my drift.

Also, luckily, dragon fruit (also known as pitaya) didn't affect me that way.

I might try some other "weird" fruits - the uglier the better!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should try cherimoya...it's a chinese (i think) fruit that's creamy like pudding on the inside...ugly on the outside...you just have to watch out for seeds

Anonymous said...

I have never met another person before with a Kiwi allergy..same thing happened to me, only I had to have 3 shots of epi at the hospital... it's a strange thing to be allergic to isn't it? Glad I'm not the only one

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the blog owner. What a blog! nice idea.

Unknown said...

Carla said

I had a dragon fruit 2 days ago..tasted great but the next day I felt a numbness in mu upper lip. Later that day my cheeks swelled up. Today...my face is still puffy and feels weird.

i_luvjesus4ever said...

I am also allergic to kiwii. Can i eat dragon fruit with no problems?