Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Life List Day 143 - Take a New Route

I get my hair done at Umbertos in Beverly Hills - a 50-minute trek that often turns out much longer thanks to traffic on the freeway. I should find someone who is closer (and cheaper), but I've been going to Gabby for over 15 years now, and I swear she's the best therapist I've ever had...plus she doesn't try to do anything crazy with my hair, and that alone is worth the drive.

Today, I decided that - rather than hop on the freeway like I always do - I'd find a different route.

I drove along the beach, and then zig-zagged my way down streets, trying to aim north and east.

I'm usually terrified to deviate from my usual route. I get lost so easily. Plus I like taking the same old way - even if it doesn't make sense to do so -because it's safe. I KNOW it. I don't have to think.

Anyway, I'm thrilled I tried something new. I got there in 40 minutes at the height of rush-hour traffic, plus I had a pleasant drive looking at beaches vs. concrete, and new stores and shops vs. places I've seen a million times.

2 comments:

soleil said...

i'm the same way. i get super lost! and i just did this one too the other day. i found a new way to get home without even mapping it out first. it was a little scary at first because i thought for sure i would get turned around and end up on the other side of the city. when i first got my license i was on my way home but i got on the highway going in the wrong direction and ended up in another county before i realized my mistake.

Anonymous said...

To the owner of this blog, how far youve come?