Monday, August 27, 2007

Life List Day 162 - Make Up an Errand

I picked up my son today from a friend's house - the thought nagging at the back of my mind that I still needed to do something for my life list. Danny got into the car and was, to my surprise, downright chatty. He started off on a story about something that happened in football, speaking in actual words, stringing them together into sentences. You have to know my son to understand: this rarely happens. Maybe when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. Otherwise, he is a boy of few words.

That's when I figured out what to do for my "thing" for the day: a meaningless errand. Something, anything, that would prolong the chatter. Once we got out of the car and into the house, I knew, the moment - this odd miracle of open communication - would be over.

So I said, "Hey, we need to go to Mervyns right now because hoodies are on sale half price. Real nice ones."

Off we went - and darned if we didn't keep up the conversation through the drive, shopping for hoodies, and all the way home...where he said, "See ya!" and retreated into the basement.

Definitely a meaningless nothing for my life list that I enjoyed quite a bit. (And as it turned out, hoodies WERE on sale!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOT a meaningless nothing! Those moments of communicating with a teen are rare and priceless. Good for you for thinking of a way to prolong it!

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.