Monday, June 11, 2007

Life List Day 85 - Sponsor a Woman Survivor of War

Today I signed on to sponsor a woman survivor of war through Women for Women International .

I've been wanting to do this for quite a while, so today I did. It's $27 a month, and the money goes to give a woman from a war-torn region (Afghanistan, Iraq, Rwanda, or the Congo, etc.) financial and emotional aid, job-skills training, rights education and small business assistance so she can rebuild her life.

Once I'm matched with a woman, they asked that I write letters to her. (I was a bit nervous about committing to that, but then I said to myself, wait! I write for a living! How hard could it be?)

Anyway, I knew it was the right thing to do when I watched the little video on their web site and started blubbering.

My cry-dar never fails.

4 comments:

Sandra Garcia said...

It's a rewarding experience to learn that such a small, selfless act on your part means the world to someone else.

P.S. I finally picked up your book at B&N - it's next on my list.

Thinkster said...

Hi Jill,

Its was really a nice time reading through this blog. Moreover knowing that, you are helping somebody to make their life easier really made me feel that, you do a simple but great act of helping the helpless by spending out from your hands on your own.
I am a pretty new blogger visit my blog when you get time @, http://think-sensible.blogspot.com.
And please pass on your comments too.

Max Coutinho said...

Hello! I like your blog: extremely interesting! I think you do well to write to those women...in my opinion, it will bring light to them in middle of such dark times! My heart goes to the women in Sudan (I was born in Africa)! Please visit me at: http://maxcouti.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

To the owner of this blog, how far youve come?