Friday, June 22, 2007

Life List Day 95 - Lunch With Someone I Met on MySpace

I've constantly warned my son not to meet up in person with anyone he "meets" on MySpace, yet today, I did just that.

After months of messaging back and forth, I finally met an author I befriended on the site: Carol Snow, who wrote a very funny book called Getting Warmer.

It felt strangely like a blind date waiting for her at the restaurant. I was looking for someone who looked like this (the author photo on her book jacket):


I was a little nervous "Carol Snow" might not really be the author but rather, this guy (whose pic I used to have on my son's computer as a screen saver, just to remind him who "cute, nice girl" might really be):



As it turned out, it really was Carol, and we had a great time talking for four hours about all kinds of authory things - the highs (seeing your novel for the first time in a store) and the lows (book signings where nobody shows up but your mother).

I love how the Internet connects me with people all over the world - but every now and then, it's fun to see a cyber-friend become a real friend.

(And Danny, if you're reading this, do as I say, not as I do.)

8 comments:

Mike Minzes said...

Great post!!

The anticipation gets the best of us, doesn't it?

I'm glad it all worked out.

Love the pics.

Karen said...

Hi Jill ! Really like your blog. Was wondering if you would visit mine and maybe allow me to put your blog onto a link from mine, and maybe you might consider linking to my blog from yours ?

I'm at www.whymoneymatters.blogspot.com

Graham Ettridge said...

This is so true. I think this post has touched on the thoughts of so many of us. I had a nightmare a week after starting my blog, where I went to a "One Man's Travel Blog" fanclub as the guest speaker - only to find that it was full of 90 year old toothless knitters, old men wearing nothing but string vests and raincoats, and the guy in your photo (who isn't me by the way..lol!)... not that I have anything against these people (I'm sure some of the are very nice)... but it didn't quite match the Blonde and Brunette 20-somthings that I was hoping for!!!

Once again, your posts simply continue to amaze and make me smile. Thank you! ...I just hope in 5 days time, you decide to increase your life list to 200 things..I don't want it to stop.

Paper Fan Club said...

BRILLIANT idea to use the photo of Mr. Ugly Reality as your kid's screensaver! I am going to begin a search for an equally repulsive suitor for my daughter's computer now...

Anna Maria Pellizzari said...

Just got your book today; looking forward to reading it!

Your blog is also on my list of regular reads. I enjoy it.

I'm at
get-amped.blogspot.com

Max Coutinho said...

LOL Nice screensaver LOL! I love the internet myself...however we must really be careful about meeting the people we chat with online...therefore, your son should really follow your advice. I am happy though, about your meeting with a fellow-writer, and I'm glad it all went well! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! Very funny!! that's so cool.
It's always great meeting new people that you have so much in common with :)
All the best
Mirella

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Thats all.