Sunday, May 20, 2007

Life List Day 63 - Try Fennel



I love licorice and heard that fennel is a veggie that tastes sort of like it. For my life list today, I thought I'd give it a try.

I sliced up the bulb part, and threw it in a foil packet with a chicken breast and cherry tomatoes, and then baked it.

All I can say is, I could eat this stuff by the truckload. The texture is a bit like celery, and the taste definitely has a hint of licorice and sweetness, but not overpowering. It's no Twizzlers, but as veggies go, it rocks.

Anyone have any tips for other ways to prepare it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,
Fennel is HUGE in my household, it's very big in Italian households actually... Except we don't bake, heat, boil or cook it in any way.... what we do is remove all the green ends, wash it of course and cut it up in to chunky slices, put it in a bowl and there! All done!! Some of us love it with a little drizzle of olive oil, a dash of malt vinegar and a pinch of salt (that's how i love it) but we eat lots of this. My family has this at Christmas, Easter, any time we have a huge meal with guests over... that's not all we eat!! Promise!!
I will say though, it is an aquired taste, either you love it or you don't!
I LOVE IT!!!
hope that has been of some help?
Hugs
Mirella

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.